It’s Mental Health Month! (Did you know that this has been celebrated for the past 61 years? Wow!) This year’s theme is “Live Your Life Well.” It’s aimed to help you cope better with stress and promote health and wellness in all aspects of your life. Mental Health America has come up with some awesome tips to help each one of us battle the stresses and demands of the daily grind. These tools have been tested and proved effective to help people cope better and enrich their lives.
So here they are, 10 Tools to Live Your Life Well:
- Connect with others: People who feel connected are happier and healthier – and may even live longer.
- Stay positive: People who regularly focus on the positive in their lives are less upset by painful memories.
- Get physically active: Exercise can help relieve insomnia and reduce depression.
- Help others: People who consistently help others experience less depression, greater calm and fewer pains.
- Get enough sleep: Not getting enough rest increases risks of weight gain, accidents, reduced memory and heart problems.
- Create joy and satisfaction: Positive emotions can boost your ability to bounce back from stress.
- Eat Well: Eating healthy food and regular meals can increase your energy, lower the risk of developing certain diseases and influence your mood.
- Take care of your spirit: People who have strong spiritual lives may be healthier and live longer. Spirituality seems to cut the stress that can contribute to disease.
- Deal better with hard times: People who can tackle problems or get support in a tough situation tend to feel less depressed.
- Get professional help if you need it: More than 80 percent of people who are treated for depression improve.
I’m sure most of you reading this currently do at least one of these but how many are you not doing? These are great (and much-needed) reminders of steps we can take to help ourselves. I have to admit, I read these about a week ago and started adapting some of them into my daily life and have noticed a huge difference in how I feel. I feel so much healthier – and not just mentally, but physically and emotionally, too! I would challenge you to pick one or two things on the list and make them a priority in your life and see how it affects you. Because, let’s face it, we all could use a little help when it comes to relaxation and feeling better!
Need an HRIS? Check out BambooHR.