This custodian job description template includes the typical job functions, responsibilities, and requirements of a custodian position. With this information, you can start building a job ad to attract the best candidates. Rather than copying and pasting this template, however, you should work with your hiring managers to tailor the template to your organization’s needs.
Custodian Job Description
Work with your hiring managers to customize this job description according to your company’s vision for the position.
The custodian is responsible for cleaning and maintaining our organization’s workspace facilities. They help maintain a tidy, pleasant space for all who use it. This upkeep typically includes removing garbage from the premises, restocking disposable supplies, cleaning internal and external facilities, preventing or removing vandalism, and eliminating pests. The custodian may be required to work outside normal office hours or after our building has closed, so the ideal candidate must be trustworthy, responsible, and able to work independently. Additionally, they must have the physical capability to perform manual tasks again and again over a large area and in a timely manner.
Custodian Job Duties
Be sure to review these items and make any changes needed in order to match what a custodian will do in your company.
- Sweep, mop, and vacuum floors
- Wash, sanitize, and restock bathroom facilities
- Pick up trash and empty receptacles
- Clean and sanitize breakroom areas
- Remove graffiti and make minor repairs when needed
- Report issues that require extensive repairs or professional help
- Manage building exterior by sweeping walkways, watering plants, mowing lawns, etc.
- Take care of cleaning equipment and keep an inventory of supplies
- Tidy and prepare spaces for the following day
- Secure facilities by locking doors, turning off lights, and activating alarms
Adjust these requirements to reflect the experience and skills your organization is seeking in a custodian candidate.
- 1+ years experience working in a custodian role
- High school diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment and appliances
- Knowledge of cleaning agents and how to use and dispose of them safely
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in basic maintenance and repair work
- Physical ability to perform all required tasks
- Available to work after operating hours
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Good focus and attention to detail