This food server job description template includes the typical job functions, responsibilities, and requirements of a food server position. With this information, you can start building a job ad to attract the best candidates. Rather than copying and pasting this template, however, you should work with your hiring managers to tailor the template to your organization’s needs.
Food Server Job Description
Work with your hiring managers to customize this job description according to your company’s vision for the position.
The food server is responsible for taking orders for food and beverages, communicating those orders to the kitchen staff, and then delivering the food and drinks to customers. The food server interacts with customers, answers questions, and ensures that each table is properly served. The ideal candidate must have excellent people skills for interacting with patrons and providing an excellent customer experience. Often, the food server manages multiple tables, guests, and orders at once, so being able to multitask and keep up in a fast-paced work environment is a must—all with a positive attitude and friendly manners.
Food Server Job Duties
Be sure to review these items and make any changes needed in order to match what a food server will do in your company.
- Take orders quickly and accurately
- Answer customer questions
- Maintain a positive attitude at all times, even in stressful situations
- Help customers feel welcome and comfortable
- Communicate orders to kitchen staff
- Deliver the correct orders to customers in a timely manner
- Manage multiple tables at once and ensure all guests are properly served
- Prepare checks and collect payments
- Provide additional support to fellow staff members when needed
Adjust these requirements to reflect the experience and skills your organization is seeking in a food server candidate.
- 1+ years experience working in a food server or customer service role
- High school diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent
- Ability to work well under pressure and at a fast pace
- Ability to cooperate in a team environment
- Ability to learn and memorize menu items and details
- Basic math skills and ability to handle money accurately and safely