19 HR and Employee Engagement Statistics You Need to Know
Your business makes or breaks its goals based on employee engagement. But according to Gallup, only 22% of employees are engaged at work. That’s not exactly what you want to hear about your most expensive business investment.
How engaged your employees are can make all the difference in your organization’s attrition rate, level of productivity, and reputation. Plus, don’t you want your employees to enjoy coming to work? (Spoiler: Satisfaction is also a key contributor to engagement and performance.)
To get a better picture of employee engagement today, we’ve compiled data from original BambooHR research to present some of the top employee engagement statistics you should know—plus onboarding and retention statistics that create a holistic view of why employee engagement matters.
5 Employee Engagement Statistics
- 78% of remote workers think their career development was negatively affected during the peak pandemic years, with the top factors being burnout (25%) and having to balance home and family life (25%).1
- Over 1/3 of employees say their compensation is directly associated with their mental health.2
- 23% of employees have negative emotions regarding their financial compensation at work.2
- 16% of women feel frustrated about their current financial compensation from their primary job, compared to 11% of men.2
- 53% of Americans say workforce diversity is important in their employment decisions.3
Included. Supported. Retained.
Don't leave your company culture to chance. With accurate, reliable employee surveys in BambooHR®, you'll gain the insight you need to prevent burnout, improve morale, and stop premature turnover in its tracks.
8 Onboarding Statistics
- 31% of employees have quit a job within the first 6 months. Of those employees, nearly 1 in 5 quit in their first month, and 17% left after the first week.4
- New hires who have a positive onboarding experience are 3x more likely to feel a strong commitment to their employer.4
- More than 80% of employees who have a positive onboarding experience continue to hold their organizations in high regard.4
- Employees who receive a highly effective offer letter are more than 17x more likely to feel emotionally connected to their organization.4
- A company with 100 employees can save as much as 40 hours per month by using e-signature software.4
- Among employees who received effective benefits training, 70% fully use their benefits. That number drops to just 27% among employees who didn’t receive effective benefits training.4
- 33% of new hires want their manager or direct supervisor to show them the ropes.4
- 25% of employees would never have taken their current job if they knew what the benefits package was.2
6 Attrition Statistics
- 75% of employees would consider leaving their current job for a salary increase.2
- 51% of employees say they’d stay with a company or job they dislike if the salary is high.2
- 44% of employees say they’d like to change jobs, but their salary is secure, so they’re staying put.2
- 30% of employees have left a job solely due to the benefits package.2
- In the last six months of 2022, 43% of working Americans considered looking for a new job.3
- 25% of employees want to leave their current employer because they need a mental health break.3
About Our Data
A 2021 survey of 1,000 office employees who were working remotely due to COVID-19.
A 2022 survey of 1,000 full-time, salaried U.S. workers.
A 2022 survey of 2,000 U.S. adults who were employed in the last two years, including people who have been willingly unemployed in the last two years.
4. BambooHR 2018 Onboarding Study
A 2018 BambooHR study including a survey of 1,052 workers about their experiences with onboarding.
Want to Improve Employee Engagement?
The first step to improving employee engagement is discovering what matters most to your people.
At BambooHR, we set people free to do great work by providing a comprehensive collection of HR tools. You'll get a real-time look at Employee Satisfaction, Performance Management, Employee Wellbeing, and more—all in an intuitive, centralized platform.
An Award-Winning, All-in-One HR Solution.
BambooHR provides a one stop shop to manage data, hire talent, run payroll, and help employees thrive. Best of all, it's easy and intuitive for busy HR teams.